Elder Jarom Travis Odom

My photo
Philippines Cauayan Mission

Monday, December 24, 2012

Pambihira! (I don't know what that means)



Dear Family,
 
It's been almost two weeks in the field!  Once a week we walk out to an area called Rizal.  It's about three miles in the mountains.  We walk uuup aand dowwwn through corn, sugar, cane, and rice fields with banana and coconut trees everywhere.  On our way to Rizal, it started to rain really bad.  We were only a mile into our journey.  We hid under some tree that had huuge leaves and still were getting wet.  I ran up this hill and broke off some banana tree leaves and used them as umbrellas!!  It was as very cool experience...
 
I'll be training someone in less than three months so that means I'll be in this area for six months.  I'll be a third of the way done with my mission by that time!!!!  The time is flying!!  I've come to realize how this life is short.  It's very short.  We cannot pass on any blessing in this life and we cannot go against answers from the Holy Ghost.  We are in need of every blessing in this life because that one blessing can make a huge difference in our lives...
 
Like I've said before, this area is struggling. I fasted for twenty-four hours Sunday for strength, peace, comfort, success, help, the people here, my loved ones back home, and for anything that I need...by the end of the day, I had no thirst or hunger and I was speed walking everywhere.  My strength was not mine.  I could feel hands pushing my back to press forward.  Our last lesson of the day was with the Cacayuran family and we haven't had an opportunity to teach them yet even though we've had many appointments with them.  As we walked up to their house, it looked closed.  We then saw the nanay, mother - and the tatay, father - and they invited us in.  It was a simple thing but it was a miracle.  I have a strong testimony about the power of prayer combined with fasting.  It truly is powerful...
 
Two funny things really quick.  One lesson we had yesterday was with the Basa family.  One of them said I had a baby face and when we were at the Cacayuran's house, they said that I am very guapo!!  They said that my companion could sell me and be rich, that I looked like a Hollywood star, and that I was guapo.  That word was used a lot.  The attention I get here is crazy.  Everyone stares at me.  STARES AT ME WITHOUT BREAKING EYE CONTACT...constant attention and constant hand shaking from little kids and everyone else!

 
 
I just want to leave you my testimony that I love my Savior and I know that He lives.  He loves us and knows us individually.  He is the focus of our lives.  He should be everyday.  When we are in need of His help, we can call upon the atonement.  The atonement helps us with three things.  It helps us be freed from sins, it helps us through sickness, trials, challenges, hardships, and any pain whether it be emotional, physical, mental, or spiritual, and it helps us become greater than we ever could be without Him.  I love my Savior...I can't believe what He freely gives to me.  My reality is far better than my dreams.  I love you all...
 
Love, Elder Odom
 
Until next week...


No comments:

Post a Comment